TOURS: AN IN-DEPTH LOOK AT FACILITIES
Join ABC for tours of several fabulous Orlando-area facilities. Tours are a great way to take an in-depth look at recreation, fitness, sports and park facilities - and network with other conference attendees. All tours will take place Wednesday, Nov. 12. Register early, as tours fill up quickly.
The City of Haines City Leisure Services Department
>> Wednesday, Nov. 12 | 8:00AM — 12:30PM
The Haines City Leisure Services Department tour will visit four areas, all located on Lake Eva. Facilities include the Haines City Community Center, which consists of a multipurpose room, an arts and crafts room, a gymnasium and a fitness facility; and the Lake Eva Banquet Hall, a 30,000-square-foot convention-style rental facility overlooking Lake Eva that averages 100 rentals a year, hosting everything from weddings and parties to meetings and conventions. Tour-goers will also see Lake Eva Park, which features playground facilities, picnic pavilions, public restrooms, a boat ramp, a band shell, tennis courts, basketball courts and a 1.2-mile bike and walking trail; and the Lake Eva Aquatics Center, which has a snack bar, a competition pool, and a kid’s play area with a zero-depth-entry lagoon pool, slide and a splash pad.
Haines City Leisure is a must-see park and recreation department. The city may be small in size, but it hosts some very large events, including a barbecue competition, a 4th of July celebration that brings in 40,000-50,000 people, and 2014 marks the third year the city will host a triathlon with 2,300 participants.
|8:00AM||Depart Orange County Convention Center|
|8:45AM||Arrive in Haines City|
|12:00PM||Depart for Orange County Convention Center|
|12:30PM||Arrive at Orange County Convention Center|
Cost: $69 (includes lunch).
CEUs: ACE 0.25, ACSM 2.5, canfitpro, Cooper 2.5, IACET 0.3, SCW 2.5
>> Wednesday, Nov. 12 | 8:00AM — 3:30PM
A “must do” for any true Disney fan! Ever wonder what it takes to create Disney “magic” at the Walt Disney World® Resort? Backstage Magic pulls back the curtain for an “insider’s look” at the heritage, daily operation and Cast Members’ roles. This 7-hour behind-the-scenes adventure guides you through a variety of locations where you will discover what it takes to create and maintain the “magic” every day.
This unforgettable experience includes visits to the following locations:
- Epcot®: Discover many of the finer details of The American Adventure and see what goes on behind-the-scenes at this popular attraction.
- Magic Kingdom® Park: See Main Street, U.S.A.® like you’ve never seen it before as you learn the “Language of Vision” while discovering often overlooked details. Then journey behind-the-scenes to explore the famous “Utilidor” system and see how it seamlessly contributes to the “magic” guests experience every day.
- Central Shops: Visit the home of the “Can Do People”—the craftsmen who make dreams come true by building and maintaining much of what Disney Guests see in the Theme Parks and resorts.
- Disney’s Wilderness Lodge: Enjoy a delicious, family-style lunch at Whispering Canyon Café.
- Walt Disney World® Resort Nursery & Tree Farm: Get a glimpse into the role horticulture and landscaping play in creating a themed environment for Guests.
- Disney’s Hollywood Studios™: Learn how Walt Disney Imagineers bring innovative ideas from concept to reality. Travel backstage to explore how design and technology make The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ a real thrill. Then, visit Creative Costuming for a glimpse at the process of designing and building the elaborate costumes that enhance Disney parades and shows.
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom® Theme Park: A Cast Member from Wild Africa Trek will provide a guided expedition through Kilimanjaro Safaris.
*Closed toe and closed heel footwear is required. Please wear comfortable shoes and clothing, as there will be a lot of walking.
Cost: $269; limited to 50 attendees. (Includes lunch).
CEUs: ACE 0.7, ACSM 7.0, canfitpro, Cooper 7.0, IACET 0.7, SCW 7.0
As to Disney artwork/properties: © Disney
>> Wednesday, Nov. 12 | 1:00PM — 3:30PM
*Note: Due to guidelines established by the Orlando Magic, the Amway Center tour is contingent upon the 2014-2015 NBA schedule, which will be released this summer. If the tour must be cancelled, you may switch to another tour/workshop or receive a full refund.
The Amway Center opened in October of 2010 as the most technologically superior arena in North America. Designed by the Orlando Magic, with input from the City of Orlando, it is host to live sports, concerts and cultural events. With a capacity of up to 20,000 patrons, the facility is home to the NBA’s Orlando Magic, East Coast Hockey League’s (ECHL) Orlando Solar Bears and 20-30 concerts each year.
The Amway Center was the first of three buildings constructed as part of the most significant public building venture in Central Florida history. The arena acquired Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold Certification for New Construction in 2011 and was the first NBA arena construction to receive this certification.
The arena boasts more than 1,100 screens displaying high-definition content via Internet Protocol Television and a state-of-the-art digital signage network. Maximizing fan engagement and interaction, the network distributes an unprecedented amount of patron information, as well as provides unlimited opportunities for advertisers and sponsors.
Join ABC for an in-depth look into this magnificent venue situated in the heart of downtown Orlando. The tour includes a behind-the-scenes look at where the Orlando Magic pound the competition, a hospitality suite or two, locker rooms, the box office, the team shop, Fan Fest, the Plaza and the team practice court.
Cost: $49; limited to 50 attendees.
CEUs: ACE 0.15, ACSM 1.5, canfitpro, Cooper 1.5, IACET 0.2, SCW 2.0